Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Feijoa is kiwi for awesome fruit

It has been quite the stretch of time since you've heard from me.  I would like to say that means I have a lot to tell you, a lot to catch everyone up on but, alas, life as been pretty simple, even if it has been awesome.  To start off, let's throw out some differences in pronunciations that make my kiwi friends and I laugh: 

Adidas
the kiwi way: AH - dee - dahs

Aluminum
the kiwi way (spelled Aluminium): al - you - MIN - ium 

Oregano
the kiwi way: or - reh - GAHN - oh


I have made contact with other life forms in my hostel (finally... took me long enough) and am happy to say I have a solid group of friends over here that I hang out with pretty much every day.  Let's see... there's Heather, Markus, John, Louise, Anna, Tessa, Eve, Dave, and a few others who come around sporadically.  Those names mean nothing to you the reader, I realize, but we can pretend they are everyone's friends.  Louise had never had a pb&j before (which probably stands for peanut butter and jam over here.  they aren't nearly as popular) so that made for quite the ceremony Saturday night.



That project that I posted about last time, with all the records and presentations and iPods and music and what not, actually turned out very well for me.  The grade was a solid one, and I was pleased.  My current projects are pretty cool.  One is a documentary about the effects of divorce on the kids, depending on the age of the child with the divorce happened (depressing, right?  let's hope it turns out to be more informative and interesting than sad).  For the class I made the gramophone for I'm now in the pre-production stages on a stop animation music video, with lots of After Effects work overlaid.  If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry - it doesn't really make sense to me either.  I have vision in my head - a dream, if you will - and I hope to be able to pull it out of my mind and onto the screen.  I'll keep you posted on how successful that commute goes.  I anticipate lots of traffic.

My third class isn't nearly as interesting, I reckon.  Just making presentations on art cinema and writing papers on famous films.  And my teacher seems bent on stifling every creative impulse I have.  I'm forced to play by his rigid rules or face the consequences when marks come out.  

I don't really have time to continue that wacky as story I started previously, since I ought to be preparing for my group meeting in an hour and a half.  But no one really reads this blog for those stories anyway, so that's alright.  On a similar note (the similarity I refer to is writing original pieces of fiction) Alex, Ryan, Aaron and I have entered the earlier phases of developing a new movie from Pursuit of Friday.  Very exciting times.  We have three or four concepts we're tossing around, trying to figure out which one will be appropriate to pull off in a month's time (July).  Keep your eyes peeled for a new film due to release late this summer, the longest production since Diem.  And way better, that I can promise.

I'll try to not wait two weeks in between posts again.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment